I cannot be the only one to want to eat healthily while also holding down a busy schedule. I have discovered something I find extremely satisfying for a quick lunch when I am in a hurry. I love the juxtaposition of smooth and silky, cold tofu, the heat of the chili and garlic sauce, the sharpness of spring onion slices and the soapy tanginess of coriander, all married together with saltiness of soy sauce and a soothing glaze of sesame oil. This is the type of thing I make a lot, I don’t really consider it a recipe as it is a kind of throw together in 2 mintes type thing, but as I have eaten it twice this week I felt it might be worth sharing with anyone else out there in a hurry.
Serves 1 open-minded hungry person – serve with a lovely smoky green tea
180g silken tofu
1 tablespoon chopped coriander
1 tablespoon chopped spring onion stems
1 tablespoon asian gate chili and garlic sauce in sesame oil*
some soy sauce and about a teaspoon of sesame oil
- Place tofu in a bowl, sprinkle with chopped spring onion stems, sprinkle coriander on top
- Mix asian gate chili and garlic sauce* in sesame oil with soy sauce and the additional sesame oil to make a sauce of dropping consistency, you might need about 1/2 tablespoon soya sauce to add.
- Dribble sauce on top of the bowl
- Enjoy 🙂
This is an offering for virtual fiesta friday at Angies for once a rare day where I make it on time! If you like food, are interested in recipes from around the world and want to find some blogs to take your taste buds traveling then pop on over.
* as the sauce kind of defines the recipe it is good to have this type of thing on hand. Alternatively substitute something else and I suppose you could for sure press a fresh garlic clove and add sesame oil, . Take about 1 1/2 tablespoon of soy sauce and add 2 tsps chili flakes thai, and soak until soft and then mix with everything else and no doubt it would taste simlirish, however then you are no longer looking at under 5 minutes…..
PS if you want a fast and satisfying lunch while building a company from scratch then this might be one you could enjoy…
PPS I had a very nice hazelnut and orange vegan muffin to finish my meal, I will share that recipe shortly 🙂
I was looking for a quote on food to add to this blog, and thought Gulliver’s travels might have something good to offer, however while I couldn’t find a quote I found one that spoke to me which I will meditate on over the weekend 🙂 So I bring something to discuss and silken tofu to the party….
“This made me reflect how vain an attempt it is for a man to endeavor doing himself honor among those who are out of all degree of equality or comparison with him. And yet I have seen the moral of my own behavior very frequent in England since my return, where a little contemptible varlet, without the least title to birth, person, wit, or common sense, shall presume to look with importance, and put himself upon a foot with the greatest persons of the kingdom.”
– Jonathan Swift, Gulliver’s Travels, Part 2, Ch. 5