Before I start I would like to say – I do eat other things apart from tofu, I really do. I realize that my recent posts might suggest otherwise, but trust me on this. On a recent business trip I was perusing the starters and as I am trying for a vegan or at least vegetarian lifestyle and failing that fish + vegetarian, I was struggling to find anything on the menu until I came across the salad depicted in the last photograph on slate. I recreated it at home picture above and below. I was on a business trip on last Fiesta Friday so as so often I bring a Monday offering to the feast 🙂 ! If you don’t know FF and want to meet more foodies head over to Angies!
Serves 2 hungry and open-minded people in about 15 minutes or shorter if you are working together in the kitchen
- 1/2 a mango sliced
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 1 appled peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 1 golden kiwi cut into pieces
- 1 handful fresh strawberries from the plants on your balcony
- half a nectarine sliced
- 2 chicory heads washed and sliced
- 1 cup lettuce leaves or more washed and dried.
- 1 handful green thai beans blanched but still crunchy
- 150 g smoked tofu cubed. If the tofu is not very smoky you can dribble some liquid smoke over the top (this is only possible if you happen to have a supermarket close to you that stocks this type of thing (in my case a supermarket in the San Fran on a trip there, I buy stuff I cannot get my hands on while traveling in case I ever need them.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple vinegar
- juice of half an orange
- salt to taste
- fresh mint leaves half a handful
- fresh pineapple sage leaves half a handful
- fresh basil half a handful
Get your ingredients ready, get a nice serving dish, you can see below that the restaurant used slate, which is beautiful but not practical for home use. Put lettuce down first then chicoree, spread the fruits over the top artistically, top with the cubed tofu and drizzle with the sauce, Decorate with the fresh herb leaves, and if you like drape the thai beans over the top.
Pretty, delicious and very happiness inducing!
Below the original eaten at a hotel in Northern Italy has zucchini, grapes, cherry tomatoes, strawberries, smoked tofu, nectarines, carrots and radicchio rosso, green beans, frissee salad, and grilled zucchini. It was served with a non garlic pesto and looked and tasted so divine I had to make it at home